Interview & Meeting Tips in a Professional Environment
It doesn’t matter what profession you have, ultimately we’re all in the selling business whether we want to be or not. We all spend a great deal of our time trying to persuade people to buy our product or service, accept our proposals or merely accept what we are saying.
Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company is famous for saying: “If you believe you can do something, or if you believe you can’t, in either case you are probably correct.” Below are 5 steps to self-motivation & success in a professional environment or interview:
1. You have to believe in yourself as a product
Successful people have a constructive and optimistic way of looking at themselves and their work. They have an attitude of calm, confident, positive self-expectation. They feel good about themselves and believe that everything they do will lead to their inevitable success.
Whether you’re in the sales industry or are a Business Owner or Manager then you must constantly work on improving your attitude. If you are always telling yourself “I can’t do this or that” or “the product I’m selling is too expensive” then you are better changing your attitude or your field of work.
2. Start with a simple smile
Without getting overly enthusiastic, wearing a subtle smile will change how you are perceived, make you appear more approachable, and can even make the person react in a more positive way towards you.
3. It’s not what you say, it’s what you do
In a similar point to the above, psychological studies have shown that your language accounts for only 7% of the message you are trying to convey. The remaining 93% is non-verbal. What does their body language say to you? Are they comfortable or are they acting nervously? Are they listening to what you are saying or are their eyes wondering? If they’re acting uncomfortably or you get the impression they are not fully engaged with what you are saying, there’s no point getting personal with them and talking about something important. It is better to build trust initially, making small talk and maybe get them to talk about everyone’s favourite topic: themselves!
It’s best to assume that in the first few minutes of meeting a new person, they won’t be listening to what you are saying in too much depth; they are analysing all the visual information you are giving them, it is human nature.
4. Always be optimistic
While engaging in small talk (see the above point), your ice breaker of choice shouldn’t be overtly negative. Such as “isn’t the weather awful” or “the traffic was terrible” or anything else to drag the conversation down. Starts by saying truthful positives, good examples being: “I have been hearing some great things about your new product” or “this is such a nice office space.”
5. Mirror the other person’s body language
A persons mannerisms unconsciously speak volumes about their attitude and how they are feeling. For instance, if you are having a meeting with a client who is speaking quietly or slowly, try to mimic their attitude and tone of voice. This also applies to body language, are they crossing their legs or using their hands in an expressive manner? There is always a reason behind it! Remember: people like to be around people who are similar to themselves.
See our recruiters guide to how to handle an interview.
Currently looking for work? Browse our vacancies!