How Project Managers Stick to Timely Deadlines
The job role of Managers is typically to budget, plan, supervise and coordinate projects from early development all the way through to completion. Without these basic plans, complications have the potential to occur from the point of conception of an idea, until the project is near completion. As delays on implementation or mistakes occur causing setbacks, this could come at a significant cost to the business, depending on how many resources and time was invested into the project.
We have comprised a list of tips project managers had to say about sticking to deadlines:
A number of experts with experience working in the construction industry with project managers stated a few common management issues:
- Tracking and receiving work.
- Effective delegation.
- Auditing and invoicing work performed under contracts.
- Issuance of construction permits.
Now let’s take these issues and make them more relevant to general business projects. A number of ways to avoid disputes and delays on projects are:
- Communicate clearly. Ensure all communication is frequent, clear and definite. All information should be accurate and unambiguous. If it isn’t, then request a clarification.
- Understand the task at hand and establish a clear goal before the project is initiated. This is your time to let your team ask questions, and thoroughly get to grips with the scope of work. If a schedule for a project appears to be unrealistic, now it the time to discuss this with your team, not half way through the development when it becomes obvious a deadline will be missed.
- Document every detail; even discussions during an impromptu or casual meeting. Documentation is the key to making sure that disputes are recognised early and rectified before getting out of hand.
- Ensure that not only you know your obligations and rights, that everyone in the team is aware of their roles; this will make them more likely to follow procedures.
- There are many more basic rules for all stages of completing a project, however these listed above are a few of the most simple yet overlooked strategies.